With weekly unemployment claims dropping across North Carolina and hiring activity surging throughout the U.S., the Triangle’s job market is seeing a boost with thousands of job openings continue to be posted across the region. Several of the major boards report 40,000 or more.
New unemployment claims are steadily declining in North Carolina, with initial claims dropping from 5,150 to 4,338 in the week ended June 12—even as claims rose unexpectedly on a national level in the same reporting period.
WRAL TechWire is tracking the Triangle’s job trends as the region continues its economic recovery. Our weekly Jobs Report compiles the latest information from the region’s top job boards, offering a breakdown of how many jobs are posted, which companies are hiring and for what positions. We’ve also included upcoming job fairs, student-centric resources and a list of Twitter accounts that track local job openings.
Let’s highlight what’s new on the job boards since last week’s Jobs Report:
NATIONAL JOB BOARDS
National job boards show thousands of opportunities in the Triangle:
- Dice.com (five-mile radius filter): 12,418 jobs in Raleigh, 12,166 in Durham and 12,861 in Chapel Hill
- Glassdoor: 40,742 jobs across the Triangle area
- Indeed (using the five-mile radius filter): 11,950 jobs in Raleigh, 6,357 in Durham and 2,954 in Chapel Hill
- InHerSight: Pages upon pages of jobs across the RTP area
- LinkedIn (using the “exact location” filter): 55,797 jobs in the Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill area, including 25,527 in Raleigh, 11,770 in Durham and 2,150 in Chapel Hill
- Manpower (20-mile radius): 19 jobs in Raleigh, 15 in Durham and 11 in Chapel Hill
- ZipRecruiter (five-mile filter): More than 26,832 jobs in Raleigh, 12,432 in Durham and 3,854 in Chapel Hill
STARTUP JOB SEARCH SITES
Aside from the boards above, job seekers can also find local startup jobs at SimplyHired (258 startup jobs near Research Triangle Park), LinkedIn (1,323 results in and around Raleigh), Indeed (276 startup jobs in/near RTP), and AngelList (job openings in Raleigh, Durham and across North Carolina).
NEW JOBS AT CUREMINT
American Underground-based CureMint, a startup with a procurement software platform for dental organizations, tells TechWire it is looking to add new talent to its team. It has openings for several positions:
- Senior full stack software engineer
- Mid level full stack software engineer
- Junior full stack software engineer
- Senior product designer
- Product manager
NEW JOBS AT TERRA DOTTA
Chapel Hill-based edtech company Terra Dotta tells TechWire it’s looking to fill several jobs across its product development, sales, support, finance and accounting teams.
Open positions include software quality assurance engineer, senior software engineer, junior software engineer, software architect, product owner, product specialist in International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS), senior account executive and client support specialist. Interested job seekers can read more and apply here.
The company’s CEO, Anthony Rotoli, cited the return of international travel and new developments in the education technology industry as reasons to ramp up hiring.
“We remained conservative with hiring during the pandemic, but we’ve had tremendous growth and are now expanding our team in the Triangle area and beyond to deliver on the increasing interest in global engagement opportunities and the technology to support it – both with travel resuming and with the evolution of new ways to deliver international education experiences virtually and on college campuses,” Rotoli stated.
AMA Triangle, the fifth-largest chapter in American Marketing Association’s nationwide network, aims to be a go-to resource for all things marketing in the Triangle — serving over 470 members. AMA Triangle provides professional training, free career webinars and a job board offering free resume placement for marketing professionals. Every month, it hosts a free “Transitions Mastermind” program for job seekers and those seeking advice on career improvement.
AMA Triangle’s job board currently shows 73 marketing jobs in Raleigh, 30 results in Durham and 24 results in Chapel Hill (with the 25-mile radius filter).
Three new jobs were added to the site since last week’s roundup:
- Raleigh-headquartered real estate investment firm APG Capital Advisors is hiring a client services coordinator and a digital marketing manager.
- Durham nonprofit Carolina Common Enterprise is looking to add a marketing and acquisition specialist to its ROCarolinas manufactured home community conversion program.
Durham-based startup hub American Underground regularly posts job openings on its job board. Job seekers can filter their search by skills, position level (c-suite, co-founder, entry-level, mid-level or senior-level), job type (full-time, part-time or intern), job classification (1099 or W2), and work location (on-site, flexible or remote).
No new jobs were posted on American Underground’s job board last week, so here’s a recap from our last Jobs Report: Durham-based digital consultancy Pathos Ethos posted three job openings for a product manager, a project manager and a back end/cloud developer. And in May, the company also added two listings for an iOS developer and an Android developer.
Earlier this year, WRAL TechWire and the North Carolina Biotechnology Center launched a Bio Jobs Hub platform focused on biopharma manufacturing — one of North Carolina’s largest industries, employing over 26,000 people. Typical biopharma jobs include process technicians, maintenance and/or instrumentation technicians, quality assurance and quality control associates, process development scientists and process engineers. This industry also offers competitive entry-level salaries, from $42,000 to $60,000.
Scientists, skilled laborers and recent graduates can use the Bio Jobs Hub resource to find career and training opportunities in their area. Users can search by location, job category/activity and region.
Many biopharma companies are hiring in the Triangle, including large employers like Biogen in Research Triangle Park, bioMérieux in Durham, GSK in Zebulon, Merck & Co. in Durham, Novo Nordisk in Durham and Clayton, Pfizer in Sanford, and many more.
The North Carolina Biotechnology Center’s extensive jobs board lists open jobs and internships from local life science companies and research organizations. Users can filter by job category, employment type (full-time, part-time and contractor), keywords, postal code and radius.
The Biotech Center also touts jobs through its Bio Jobs Hub program.
Over the last week (since June 14), dozens of new jobs were added to NCBiotech’s board, including:
- An associate scientist specializing in protein chemistry at Life Edit Therapeutics in RTP
- A biopharmaceutical technology instructor/program director at Wake Technical Community College in Morrisville
- A biologist/cytometry scientist at NIRvana Sciences in RTP
- Staff process engineer, senior engineering manager and senior QA technical specialist at FUJIFILM Diosynth Biotechnologies in Morrisville
- Data coordinator at PrimeNeuro in Durham
- DMC research associate specializing in fermentation processes at DMC Biotechnologies in Durham
- Associate scientist and senior scientist at Alcami in Durham
- Senior clinical research specialist, postdoctoral associate, high containment facility manager and lab systems analyst at the Duke Human Vaccine Institute in Durham
- Research associate at Shattuck Labs in Durham
- Senior medicinal chemistry scientist at Ribometrix in Durham
- Senior specialist in regulatory affairs at Bavarian Nordic in Morrisville
- Local recruiting firm Frankel Staffing Partners posted a few jobs for its clients:
- An experienced quality engineer/manager and a project manager at a venture-backed company developing genomic amplification technologies in RTP
- Senior accountant for a high-growth biopharmaceutical company in the RTP area
- Advanced Recruiting Partners seeks a senior associate scientist for a biopharmaceutical company in Durham.
- Staffing firm Spherion posted a listing for a QA specialist in Raleigh.
The North Carolina Technology Association (NC TECH) has an interactive job board you can use to find your next career opportunity. Users can search by keyword, location, category, type (contract, full-time, part-time or temp to full-time), experience and education level.
Two local jobs were added since last week’s roundup: A software developer and a full stack developer at Optricity Corporation, a supply chain software company headquartered in RTP.
Raleigh Founded, a startup incubator and coworking space, launched a jobs board and research page earlier this year. Job seekers can filter results by company, company size or industry.
Raleigh Founded’s job board currently lists 161 positions at 28 companies, as of June 20. Several new jobs were added over the past week:
- Raleigh startup Pendo, which plans to hire 400 workers this year, added listings for a senior account executive and an editor-in-chief.
- Veeva Systems, a cloud software provider, added several jobs in Raleigh: Key account manager, site success operations manager, sales support analyst and global program manager (remote).
- Digital consultancy Pathos Ethos added listings for a project manager and a back end/cloud developer in Durham.
- The North Carolina Early Childhood Foundation is looking to hire a marketing and communications leader in Raleigh.
This isn’t a job board per se, but the Research Triangle Cleantech Cluster’s list of job search sources is a helpful resource for job seekers in the clean energy sector. The list has links to career opportunities from the organization’s members and partners.
Work in the Triangle, a Wake County Economic Development program, shares new openings daily through its Twitter feed, @WorkTriangleNC.
Every Tuesday, Work in the Triangle’s #TriangleTuesdays hashtag lists dozens of hot jobs.
Posts from last Tuesday (June 15) included openings from:
- Raleigh Chamber
- UNC Health
- Accentuate Staffing
- City of Raleigh
- PNC Bank
- Capitol Broadcasting Company
- NC State University
- Coastal Credit Union
- Carolina Hurricanes
- Wake Tech Community College
- RTI International
- Womble Bond Dickinson
- Red Hat
- First Citizens
- UNC Chapel Hill
- Wake County
- Bank of America
- Duke Raleigh Hospital
- Wells Fargo
- BB&T (Truist)
Scroll through the #TriangleTuesdays hashtag on Twitter for more details on the openings.
UPCOMING JOB FAIRS
Merck Virtual Career Fair: June 24, 1-6 p.m. (online)
Pharma giant Merck will host an exclusive online job fair later this month as part of its goal to fill 100 jobs at its Durham and Wilson manufacturing and supply facilities by August. (See the list of openings here.)
NC TECH Virtual Job Expo: Oct. 20, 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. (online)
The North Carolina Technology Association’s virtual job fair will connect employers to job seekers looking for work in a tech role or to support a tech company. The event is free for candidates and job seekers.
JOB RESOURCES FOR LOCAL STUDENTS
If you’re a student looking for an internship or entry-level position at a local company or organization, your university has resources to help you get started. Quick links below:
- Duke University: Student Affairs Career Center
- Durham Technical Community College: College Central Network
- NC Central University: Eagle Career Network
- NC State University: Centennial Campus Job Board, Career Development Center, Career Help During COVID-19 and Jobs at NCSU
- UNC Chapel Hill: University Career Resources and Careers at UNC Chapel Hill
- Wake Technical Community College: College Central Networkand Career and Employment Resources
TWITTER ACCOUNTS TO FOLLOW
Here are some locally run Twitter accounts that regularly share job openings in the Triangle:
- @NCCommerce and #NCJoboftheDay
- @WorkTriangleNC and #TriangleTuesdays
Original Source: WRAL TechWire