by Shannon Cuthrell — June 7, 2021
RESEARCH TRIANGLE PARK – Though last Friday’s national jobs report fell short of analyst expectations, the American workforce still grew with 599,000 new jobs—a significant jump from the revised number of 278,000 jobs added in April. But plenty of jobs remain available.
In fact, Triangle Restaurant Week starts today, but this year not as many places are taking part. The pandemic is to blame for the mounting challenges, such as a shortage of workers.
Unemployment is steadily dropping across North Carolina, particularly in the Triangle. According to data released last week by the NC Department of Commerce, the Durham-Chapel Hill metro area’s 3.5% unemployment rate is the lowest of all other North Carolina metros. Raleigh is a close second, with 3.6% unemployment.
National job boards show thousands of opportunities in the Triangle:
- Dice.com (five-mile radius filter): 12,549 jobs in Raleigh, 11,903 in Durham and 11,685 in Chapel Hill
- Glassdoor: 39,633 jobs across the Triangle area
- Indeed (using the five-mile radius filter): 11,846 jobs in Raleigh, 6,208 in Durham and 2,706 in Chapel Hill
- InHerSight: Pages upon pages of jobs across the RTP area
- LinkedIn (using the “exact location” filter): 56,908 jobs in the Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill area, including 23,176 in Raleigh, 11,489 in Durham and 2,079 in Chapel Hill
- Manpower (20-mile radius): 20 jobs in Raleigh, 16 in Durham and 11 in Chapel Hill
- ZipRecruiter (five-mile filter): More than 26,184 jobs in Raleigh, 12,123 in Durham and 3,720 in Chapel Hill
NCWorks, which is run by the N.C. Department of Commerce, also reports thousands of available positions. More than 14,290 people added or updated their resumes at the site in the past week, and over 40 new jobs were posted on Sunday alone.
Get the top stories in your inbox every afternoon
WRAL TechWire is tracking the Triangle’s job trends as the region continues its economic recovery. Our weekly Jobs Report compiles the latest information from the region’s top job boards, offering a breakdown of how many jobs are posted, which companies are hiring and for what positions. We’ve also included upcoming job fairs, student-centric resources and a list of Twitter accounts that track local job openings.
Let’s highlight what’s new on the job boards since last week’s Jobs Report:
Startup Job Search Sites
Aside from the boards above, job seekers can also find local startup jobs at SimplyHired (253 startup jobs near Research Triangle Park), LinkedIn (1,285 results in and around Raleigh), Indeed (265 startup jobs in/near RTP), and AngelList (job openings in Raleigh, Durham and across North Carolina).
New Jobs at Terra Dotta
Chapel Hill-based edtech company Terra Dotta tells TechWire it’s looking to fill several jobs across its product development, sales, support, finance and accounting teams.
Open positions include software quality assurance engineer, senior software engineer, junior software engineer, software architect, product owner, product specialist in International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS), senior account executive and client support specialist. Interested job seekers can read more and apply here.
The company’s CEO, Anthony Rotoli, cited the return of international travel and new developments in the education technology industry as reasons to ramp up hiring.
“We remained conservative with hiring during the pandemic, but we’ve had tremendous growth and are now expanding our team in the Triangle area and beyond to deliver on the increasing interest in global engagement opportunities and the technology to support it – both with travel resuming and with the evolution of new ways to deliver international education experiences virtually and on college campuses,” Rotoli stated.
AMA Triangle, the fifth-largest chapter in American Marketing Association’s nationwide network, aims to be a go-to resource for all things marketing in the Triangle — serving over 470 members. AMA Triangle provides professional training, free career webinars and a job board offering free resume placement for marketing professionals. Every month, it hosts a free “Transitions Mastermind” program for job seekers and those seeking advice on career improvement.
AMA Triangle’s job board currently shows 73 marketing jobs in Raleigh, 40 results in Durham and 29 results in Chapel Hill (with the 25-mile radius filter).
A few new jobs were added to the site since last week’s roundup:
- Honeywell is hiring a marketing specialist in Raleigh.
- Pharma giant Merck & Co. is growing its Triangle offices with an associate director of global pharmaceuticals communications, an associate director of U.S. oncology marketing and an associate director of health care provider marketing.
- North Carolina Electric Cooperatives seeks a market research project manager in Raleigh.
Durham-based startup hub American Underground regularly posts job openings on its job board. Job seekers can filter their search by skills, position level (c-suite, co-founder, entry-level, mid-level or senior-level), job type (full-time, part-time or intern), job classification (1099 or W2), and work location (on-site, flexible or remote).
No new jobs were added to the site over the past week. But last month, Durham-based digital consultancy Pathos Ethos posted two job listings for an iOS developer and an Android developer.
Earlier this year, WRAL TechWire and the North Carolina Biotechnology Center launched a Bio Jobs Hub platform focused on biopharma manufacturing — one of North Carolina’s largest industries, employing over 26,000 people. Typical biopharma jobs include process technicians, maintenance and/or instrumentation technicians, quality assurance and quality control associates, process development scientists and process engineers. This industry also offers competitive entry-level salaries, from $42,000 to $60,000.
Scientists, skilled laborers and recent graduates can use the Bio Jobs Hub resource to find career and training opportunities in their area. Users can search by location, job category/activity and region.
Many biopharma companies are hiring in the Triangle, including large employers like Biogen in Research Triangle Park, bioMérieux in Durham, GSK in Zebulon, Merck & Co. in Durham, Novo Nordisk in Durham and Clayton, Pfizer in Sanford, and many more.
The North Carolina Biotechnology Center’s extensive jobs board lists open jobs and internships from local life science companies and research organizations. Users can filter by job category, employment type (full-time, part-time and contractor), keywords, postal code and radius.
Over the last week (since May 31), several new jobs were added to NCBiotech’s board, including:
- Analytical technician, analytical scientist, process development scientist, director of regulatory affairs and bioanalytical research associate at Shattuck Labs in Durham
- Remote associate director of gene therapy product planning at BridgeBio Gene Therapy
- Quality assurance lead at ImmunoReagents in Raleigh
- Post-doctoral fellow at Duke University in Durham
- Vice president of sterile operations and senior material management coordinator at Alcami in Morrisville
- Postdoc interns for UNC Chapel Hill’s Carolina Cancer Nanotechnology T32 Training Program
- Frankel Staffing Partners seeks a pharma compliance documents reviewer for its client, a high-growth pharmaceutical company in the Raleigh area.
- Frankel Staffing is also looking for a quality assurance specialist for another client, a North Carolina-based biopharmaceutical company.
- Lab research analyst at the Duke Human Vaccine Institute in Durham
The North Carolina Technology Association (NC TECH) has an interactive job board you can use to find your next career opportunity. Users can search by keyword, location, category, type (contract, full-time, part-time or temp to full-time), experience and education level.
Two local jobs were added since last week’s roundup:
- The North Carolina Department of Information Technology is hiring a chief procurement officer in Raleigh.
- Cary-based Carolina Advanced Digital, a provider of technology infrastructure and security solutions, is looking for an inside sales specialist with experience in technology sales.
NCWorks is a statewide job search portal run by the North Carolina Department of Commerce, which has nearly 100 career centers located across the state. Users can filter NCWorks’ database by keyword, location, occupation group or specific occupations, minimum acceptable salary, education level, job sources and date posted. NCWorks also has a mobile app on the Apple App Store and Google Play Store.
The NCWorks website contains a COVID-19 job board that lists companies hiring to fill immediate technical and healthcare needs in response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
North Carolina military veterans, transitioning service members and spouses can find additional resources on NCWorks’ separate veterans portal.
Here are the top 10 Wake County-based employers with the most job openings, as of June 6:
- Wake County Public School System (2,675 jobs)
- WakeMed Health and Hospitals (1,172)
- UNC Health Care System (1,006)
- Pharmaceutical Research Associates International (515)
- UNC Rockingham Health Care (498)
- NC State University (454)
- EY (450)
- North Carolina State University (444)
- McDonald’s Corporation (429)
- Deloitte (411)
Here are the top companies/organizations by job openings in Durham County:
- Duke University (1,331 jobs)
- Cisco Systems (701)
- IQVIA (617)
- BAYADA Home Health Care (266)
- Cree (262)
- Durham Public Schools (258)
- Duke University and Duke University Health System (256)
- Duke University Health System (245)
- Covance Inc. (217)
- Fidelity Investments (215)
And here are the top employers in Orange County:
- UNC Health Care System (963)
- UNC Chapel Hill (571)
- UNC Rockingham Health Care (487)
- Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools (230)
- Amazon (91)
- McDonald’s Corporation (46)
- Palladium Group (43)
- AHS NurseStat (40)
- Hyatt Hotels Corporation (38)
- Harris Teeter (37)
Raleigh Founded, a startup incubator and coworking space, launched a jobs board and research page earlier this year. Job seekers can filter results by company, company size or industry.
Raleigh Founded’s job board currently lists 175 positions at 27 companies.
Several new jobs were added over the past week:
- Raleigh Founded is hiring an events and community coordinator.
- Raleigh startup Pendo, which plans to hire 400 workers this year, added listings for a revenue manager and a contracts manager.
- Veeva Systems, a cloud software provider, added several jobs in Raleigh: Senior site reliability software engineer, senior Java/React software engineer, senior Java engineer, senior iOS engineer, senior front-end engineer, senior product manager, product manager, DevOps engineer, remote customer strategist and clinical data scientist.
- MedPharm, a product design and development firm, is hiring an associate study director/manager in Durham.
This isn’t a job board per se, but the Research Triangle Cleantech Cluster’s list of job search sources is a helpful resource for job seekers in the clean energy sector. The list has links to career opportunities from the organization’s members and partners.
Work in the Triangle, a Wake County Economic Development program, shares new openings daily through its Twitter feed, @WorkTriangleNC.
Every Tuesday, Work in the Triangle’s #TriangleTuesdays hashtag lists dozens of hot jobs.
Posts from last Tuesday (June 1) included openings from:
- UNC Health
- RTI International
- Highwoods Properties
- Fifth Third Bank
- Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina
- Wake Med
- Red Hat
- NC State University
- Martin Marietta
- First Citizens Bank
- WRAL FOX 50
- SAS Institute
- Wells Fargo
- Duke Raleigh Hospital
- Bank of America
- PNC Bank
- Duke Energy
- Wake County
- City of Raleigh
Scroll through the #TriangleTuesdays hashtag on Twitter for more details on the openings.
Upcoming Job Events and Program Application Deadlines
Wake County Hospitality Job Fair: June 10, 9 a.m. – 12 p.m. (online)
Capital Area Workforce Development is hosting its virtual Wake County Hospitality Job Fair to connect job seekers with recruiters at local hotels and restaurants. Participating employers include Hilton, Holiday Inn, Hyatt, Panera Bread, Raleigh Convention and Performing Arts Complex, The Umstead Hotel and Spa, Wegmans Food Markets, Trophy Brewing and more.
Triangle Women in STEM Summer Intern Event: June 17, 6-7:15 p.m. (online)
Triangle Women in STEM is hosting its 5th summer intern event, presented virtually through Zoom. Microsoft U.S. CTO Gina Loften will deliver a keynote discussing her career path, risks worth taking, personal branding, professional best practices and mentorship. A Q&A, along with career-specific breakout sessions, will follow.
NC TECH Virtual Job Expo: Oct. 20, 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. (online)
The North Carolina Technology Association’s virtual job fair will connect employers to job seekers looking for work in a tech role or to support a tech company. The event is free for candidates and job seekers.
Job Resources for Local Students
If you’re a student looking for an internship or entry-level position at a local company or organization, your university has resources to help you get started. Quick links below:
- Duke University: Student Affairs Career Center
- Durham Technical Community College: College Central Network
- NC Central University: Eagle Career Network
- NC State University: Centennial Campus Job Board, Career Development Center, Career Help During COVID-19 and Jobs at NCSU
- UNC Chapel Hill: University Career Resources and Careers at UNC Chapel Hill
- Wake Technical Community College: College Central Network and Career and Employment Resources
Twitter Accounts to Follow
Here are some locally run Twitter accounts that regularly share job openings in the Triangle:
- @NCCommerce and #NCJoboftheDay
- @WorkTriangleNC and #TriangleTuesdays
Original Source: WRAL TechWire