Dunn cracks finalist list for $3M ‘Techover’ package of T-MobileDate Published:
Dunn, population around 10,000, could be getting a $3 million “Techover” from wireless provider T-Mobile.
The town southeast of Raleigh is one of 10 finalists in the T-Mobile contest that focuses on emerging wireless 5G services. And a bonus to the tech is a concert from “Florida Georgia Line.”
Even if Dunn isn’t the winner the community will receive $50,000. The winner will be announced later this summer based on a decision by a panel of judges.
Criteria for selection include: project feasibility, need for a network upgrade, and town leadership interest and engagement, T-Mobile says.
The company describes Dunn as “a beautiful small town in central North Carolina with a walkable downtown and nurtures tourism with small businesses and museums.”
“It’s time to celebrate the small towns at the very heart of our country,” said Jon Freier, executive vice president of T-Mobile’s Consumer Group. “As the 5G leader, we’re committed to helping bridge the digital divide and getting rural America as well-connected as Big City USA. This three-million-dollar Hometown Techover is just one example of how we’ll get to work … and it’s just the beginning.”
The other finalists are:
- Borough of Stroudsburg, Pa. is nestled in the Poconos and home to a historic downtown filled with small businesses that are the heart of the economy.
- Girard, Kan. is a town in southeastern Kansas with dedicated teachers who want to help improve their students’ connectivity.
- Guadalupe, Calif. located on the Central California coast near the famous Guadalupe-Nipomo Dunes, has an economy dependent on the surrounding farms that feed America.
- Hopkinsville, Ky. a charming southern agricultural community with one of the most diverse populations in Kentucky, neighbors the Fort Campbell Army installation.
- Kalispell, Mont. is one of the fastest-growing small cities in the United States located in northwest Montana and is known for its incredible outdoor recreation and proximity to Glacier National Park.
- Tipton, Ind. has a high concentration of veterans within its community and is honoring them with Hometown Hero banners displayed on their downtown streetlamps.
- Wareham, Mass. is a diverse New England town situated just outside Cape Cod on picturesque Buzzards Bay. The economy is rooted in the fishing and agriculture industries and bolstered by tourism, manufacturing and commerce.
- Washington, Mo. is a growing community nestled along the Missouri River that serves as the retail and industrial development hub of the county.
- Woodstock, Ill. listed on the National Register of Historic Places, is a diverse city known for its historic downtown district and turn-of-the-century town square.
- Community Grant: A $200,000 T-Mobile Hometown Grant and consulting services from Smart Growth America
- Play Ball: Little League® field refurbishment including a tech upgrade and T-Mobile Little League Call Up Grant support
- Public Space Tech Upgrade: An Un-carrier style upgrade to a public space like a library, community center or town square
- Access to T-Mobile Resources: Concierge enrollment in T-Mobile’s Project 10 Million and Connecting Heroes programs
- The concert
Original Article Source: WRAL TechWire