While the pace of hiring has been ramping up in the Triangle and across North Carolina, considerable talent gaps continue to dampen the region’s economic recovery.
WRAL TechWire examined this dynamic last week in a multi-part series covering the state’s emerging “jobs conundrum.” Pandemic-related concerns and lack of financial incentives play into this shortfall, as NC State economist Mike Walden pointed out in a column.
Employers are scrambling to fill high-demand roles in healthcare, drug development and biotechnology, as today’s Jobs Report shows. Jobs in tech-centric occupations like software development and information technology are also readily available.
WRAL TechWire is tracking the Triangle’s job trends as the region continues its economic recovery. Our weekly Jobs Report compiles the latest information from the region’s top job boards, offering a breakdown of how many jobs are posted, which companies are hiring and for what positions. We’ve also included upcoming job fairs, student-centric resources and a list of Twitter accounts that track local job openings.
Let’s highlight what’s new on the job boards since last week’s Jobs Report:
NEW JOBS AT TERRA DOTTA
Chapel Hill-based edtech company Terra Dotta tells TechWire it’s looking to fill several jobs across its development, sales, support, finance and accounting teams.
The company’s CEO, Anthony Rotoli, cited the return of international travel and new developments in the education technology industry as reasons to ramp up hiring.
“We remained conservative with hiring during the pandemic, but we’ve had tremendous growth and are now expanding our team in the Triangle area and beyond to deliver on the increasing interest in global engagement opportunities and the technology to support it – both with travel resuming and with the evolution of new ways to deliver international education experiences virtually and on college campuses,” Rotoli stated.
Open positions include software quality assurance engineer, senior software engineer, junior software engineer, software architect, product owner, product specialist in International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS), senior account executive, accounts receivable/accounts payable specialist and client support specialist. Interested job seekers can read more and apply here.
NATIONAL JOB BOARDS
National job boards show thousands of opportunities in the Triangle:
- Dice.com (five-mile radius filter): 11,704 jobs in Raleigh, 11,451 in Durham and 11,250 in Chapel Hill
- Glassdoor: 44,142 jobs across the Triangle area
- Indeed (using the “exact location” filter): 15,906 jobs in Raleigh, 8,245 in Durham and 2,564 in Chapel Hill
- LinkedIn (using the “exact location” filter): 41,783 in the Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill area, including 18,497 jobs in Raleigh, 8,908 in Durham and 1,944 in Chapel Hill
- Manpower: 20 jobs in Raleigh, 11 in Durham and nine in Chapel Hill
- ZipRecruiter (five-mile filter): More than 26,312 jobs in Raleigh, 12,396 in Durham and 3,957 in Chapel Hill
STARTUP JOB SEARCH SITES
Aside from the boards above, job seekers can also find local startup jobs at SimplyHired (259 startup jobs near Research Triangle Park), LinkedIn (1,157 results in and around Raleigh), Indeed (259 startup jobs in/near RTP), and AngelList (job openings in Raleigh, Durham and across North Carolina).
AMA Triangle, the fifth-largest chapter in American Marketing Association’s nationwide network, aims to be a go-to resource for all things marketing in the Triangle — serving over 470 members. AMA Triangle provides professional training, free career webinars and a job board offering free resume placement for marketing professionals. Every month, it hosts a free “Transitions Mastermind” program for job seekers and those seeking advice on career improvement.
AMA Triangle’s job board currently shows 74 marketing jobs in Raleigh, 36 results in Durham and 18 results in Chapel Hill (with the 25-mile radius filter).
Four new jobs were added to the site since last week’s roundup:
- Pharma giant Merck & Co. seeks two associate directors of digital marketing analytics in Raleigh and Durham.
- Gilead Sciences, a biopharmaceutical firm, is hiring an IT communications manager in Raleigh.
- The North Carolina Bar Association is hiring a marketing manager in Cary.
Durham-based startup hub American Underground regularly posts job openings on its job board. Job seekers can filter their search by skills, position level (c-suite, co-founder, entry-level, mid-level or senior-level), job type (full-time, part-time or intern), job classification (1099 or W2), and work location (on-site, flexible or remote).
Two new jobs were posted over the past week: Pathos Ethos, a digital consultancy based in Durham, added listings for an iOS developer and an Android developer.
Earlier this year, WRAL TechWire and the North Carolina Biotechnology Center launched a Bio Jobs Hub platform focused on biopharma manufacturing — one of North Carolina’s largest industries, employing over 26,000 people. Typical biopharma jobs include process technicians, maintenance and/or instrumentation technicians, quality assurance and quality control associates, process development scientists and process engineers. This industry also offers competitive entry-level salaries, from $42,000 to $60,000.
Scientists, skilled laborers and recent graduates can use the Bio Jobs Hub resource to find career and training opportunities in their area. Users can search by location, job category/activity and region.
Many biopharma companies are hiring in the Triangle, including large employers like Biogen in Research Triangle Park, bioMérieux in Durham, GSK in Zebulon, Merck & Co. in Durham, Novo Nordisk in Durham and Clayton, Pfizer in Sanford, and many more.
The North Carolina Biotechnology Center’s extensive jobs board lists open jobs and internships from local life science companies and research organizations. Users can filter by job category, employment type (full-time, part-time and contractor), keywords, postal code and radius.
Since May 10, several new jobs were added to NCBiotech’s board, including:
- Mid-level software developer at SciMed Solutions in Durham
- Scientific grant writer at EpiCypher in Durham
- Research quality assurance associate at Precision BioSciences in Durham
- Manufacturing technician at Alcami in Morrisville
- Frankel Staffing Partners is looking for a process development scientist/engineer for its client, a fast-growing pharmaceutical manufacturer in Research Triangle Park.
- Laboratory technician and senior manager of clinical research at Shattuck Labs in Durham
- Analytical scientist at Lindy Biosciences in Durham
- Quality assurance engineer at BioAgilytix in Durham
- Research technician and cell culture scientist at Jellatech in Durham
- Grants and contracts administrator, high containment facility manager and scientific program manager at the Duke Human Vaccine Institute in Durham
- Associate scientists at BridgeBio Gene Therapy in Raleigh
- Clinical trial assistant at Nicox Ophthalmics in Durham
- Temporary associates in analytics and cell biology R&D at United Therapeutics in Durham
- Office chemist or biochemist intern at MedKoo Biosciences in Morrisville
The North Carolina Technology Association (NC TECH) has an interactive job board you can use to find your next career opportunity. Users can search by keyword, location, category, type (contract, full-time, part-time or temp to full-time), experience and education level.
No new local jobs were added since last week’s roundup, but here’s a recap of what’s been posted in May so far:
- Corning Pharmaceutical Technologies, which manufactures pharmaceutical tubing materials, is hiring a process technician at its Durham facility.
- Raleigh-based Capitol Broadcasting Company (WRAL TechWire’s parent company) is hiring a senior full stack developer.
- Narrative Science is hiring a remote senior software engineer. Though the company is based in Chicago, the new hire can opt to work remotely.
NCWorks is a statewide job search portal run by the North Carolina Department of Commerce, which has nearly 100 career centers located across the state. Users can filter NCWorks’ database by keyword, location, occupation group or specific occupations, minimum acceptable salary, education level, job sources and date posted. NCWorks also has a mobile app on the Apple App Store and Google Play Store.
The NCWorks website contains a COVID-19 job board that lists companies hiring to fill immediate technical and healthcare needs in response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
North Carolina military veterans, transitioning service members and spouses can find additional resources on NCWorks’ separate veterans portal.
NCWorks reports thousands of available positions. More than 4,170 people added or updated their resumes at the site in the past week, and more than 80 new jobs were posted on Sunday.
Here are the Wake County-based employers with the most job openings, as of May 16:
- Wake County Public School System (2,789 jobs)
- WakeMed Health and Hospitals (1,123)
- UNC Health Care System (987)
- Pharmaceutical Research Associates International (555)
- UNC Rockingham Health Care (493)
- EY (446)
- NC State University (413)
- Deloitte (385)
- Lenovo (275)
- Facebook (273)
- INC Research (248)
- Wells Fargo (237)
- IQVIA (236)
- McDonald’s Corporation (219)
- The Home Depot (203)
- Lenovo (180)
- Accenture (179)
- General Dynamics Information Technology (174)
- Splunk (171)
- PruittHealth (169)
- CVS Health (168)
- ICF International (166)
- Harris Teeter (164)
- Advance Auto Parts (157)
Raleigh Founded, a startup incubator and coworking space, launched a jobs board and research pageearlier this year. Job seekers can filter results by company, company size or industry.
Raleigh Founded’s job board currently lists 158 positions at 26 companies.
Several new jobs were added over the past week:
- MedPharm, a product design and development firm in Durham, is hiring a quality assurance specialist in Durham.
- Raleigh startup Pendo, which plans to hire 400 workers this year, is looking to hire a manager of technical account management, an international marketing coordinator (remote option), a technical sourcer, a senior technical recruiter and a global delivery practice program manager.
- Raleigh startup Levitate seeks a sales development representative, an implementation specialist, a content marketing specialist, a customer success coordinator, a marketing manager, a platform developer and a product support specialist.
- Veeva Systems, a cloud software provider, is hiring a senior software engineer in Raleigh, a remote services engagement manager and a remote senior project manager.
- Edtech startup LearnPlatform is adding a regional director of partnerships to work field sales across the southeast.
- Local consultancy Pathos Ethos seeks an iOS developer and an Android developer.
This isn’t a job board per se, but the Research Triangle Cleantech Cluster’s list of job search sources is a helpful resource for job seekers in the clean energy sector. The list has links to career opportunities from the organization’s members and partners.
Work in the Triangle, a Wake County Economic Development program, shares new openings daily through its Twitter feed, @WorkTriangleNC.
Every Tuesday, Work in the Triangle’s #TriangleTuesdays hashtag lists dozens of hot jobs.
Posts from last Tuesday (May 11) included openings from:
- UNC Health
- NC Department of Health and Human Services
- DHIC Inc.
- City of Raleigh
- UNC Health Foundation
- NC Oral Health Collaborative
- Wake County
- Bank of America
- Duke University
- Armstrong McGuire
- Me Fine Foundation
- Capitol Broadcasting Company (WRAL TechWire’s parent company)
- Carolina Union
- Duke Raleigh Hospital
- Wells Fargo
- Fred Smith Company
- Gregory Poole Caterpillar
- UNC Libraries
- UNC Frank Porter Graham Child Development Institute
- UNC Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center
- First Citizens Bank
- NC State
- Red Hat
- Blue Cross and Blue Shield of NC
- Duke Energy
- Highwoods Properties
- RTI International
- North State Bank
- Triangle J Council of Governments
Scroll through the #TriangleTuesdays hashtag on Twitter for details on the openings.
UPCOMING JOB EVENTS AND PROGRAM APPLICATION DEADLINES
Growing IT Talent: It’s Everyone’s Business: May 19, 8:30-9:30 a.m. (online)
The Capital Area Workforce Development Board is hosting a webinar for non-tech companies to learn about recruiting, hiring and retaining talent in the information technology field. Register here.
Life Sciences/Biopharma Hiring Event: May 19, 9:45 a.m. – 3 p.m. (online)
NCBiotech’s Veterans Outreach Program and North Carolina for Military Employment are running a virtual hiring event open to all veterans, transitioning service members and guard/reserve, as well as military spouses. Job seekers will be able to meet face-to-face with hiring managers and recruiters. Register here.
Established in memory of the founding CEO of the North Carolina Technology Association (NC TECH), the Betsy Y. Justus NC TECH Founders Scholarship supports two young women as they enter academic and career paths in technology or engineering. Two selected students will receive $4,000 and a Lenovo computer. Apply here.
JOB RESOURCES FOR LOCAL STUDENTS
If you’re a student looking for an internship or entry-level position at a local company or organization, your university has resources to help you get started. Quick links below:
- Duke University: Student Affairs Career Center
- Durham Technical Community College: College Central Network
- NC Central University: Eagle Career Network
- NC State University: Centennial Campus Job Board, Career Development Center, Career Help During COVID-19 and Jobs at NCSU
- UNC Chapel Hill: University Career Resources and Careers at UNC Chapel Hill
- Wake Technical Community College: College Central Network and Career and Employment Resources
TWITTER ACCOUNTS TO FOLLOW
Here are some locally run Twitter accounts that regularly share job openings in the Triangle:
- @NCCommerce and #NCJoboftheDay
- @WorkTriangleNC and #TriangleTuesdays
Original Source: WRAL TechWire