Triangle job market continues to surge – here’s what’s new on opportunities & who is hiringDate Published:
by Shannon Cuthrell — April 26, 2021
North Carolina’s job market is steadily bouncing back from last year’s downturn, and the Triangle region is a key beneficiary of that economic recovery.
The North Carolina Technology Association’s recent IT Job Trends report shows tech job openings are up 22.7% since March 2020, with over 38,000 jobs available across the state. About one-third of those openings are located in Raleigh, marking a 43% jump from this time last year, followed by Durham and Chapel Hill, up 20%. Demand in Fayetteville rose by nearly 25%, with 1,193 open jobs.
Every Monday, WRAL TechWire compiles the latest information from the region’s top job boards, offering a breakdown of how many jobs are posted, which companies are hiring and for what positions. We’ve also included upcoming job fairs, student-centric resources and a list of Twitter accounts that track local job openings.
Let’s highlight what’s new on the job boards since last week’s Jobs Report:
National Job Boards
National job boards show thousands of opportunities in the Triangle:
- Dice.com (five-mile radius filter): 11,039 jobs in Raleigh, 10,846 in Durham, and 10,668 in Chapel Hill
- Glassdoor: 43,787 jobs across the Triangle area
- Indeed (using the “exact location” filter): 15,468 jobs in Raleigh, 8,266 in Durham, and 2,657 in Chapel Hill
- LinkedIn (using the “exact location” filter): 40,953 in the Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill area, including 18,090 jobs in Raleigh, 8,452 in Durham, and 1,778 in Chapel Hill
- Manpower: Nine jobs in Raleigh, seven in Durham, and five in Chapel Hill
- ZipRecruiter (five-mile filter): More than 25,543 jobs in Raleigh, 12,402 in Durham, and 3,918 in Chapel Hill
Startup Job Search Sites
Aside from the boards above, job seekers can also find local startup jobs at SimplyHired (256 startup jobs near Research Triangle Park), LinkedIn (1,186 results in and around Raleigh), Indeed (268 startup jobs in/near RTP), and AngelList (job openings in Raleigh, Durham and across North Carolina).
AMA Triangle, the fifth-largest chapter in American Marketing Association’s nationwide network, aims to be a go-to resource for all things marketing in the Triangle—serving more than 470 members. AMA Triangle provides professional training, free career webinars and a job board offering free resume placement for marketing professionals. Every month, it hosts a free “Transitions Mastermind” program for job seekers and those seeking advice on career improvement. The chapter’s next online career fair will be held this Thursday.
AMA Triangle’s job board currently shows 60 marketing jobs in Raleigh, 24 results in Durham, and three results in Chapel Hill (with the five-mile radius filter).
Since last week’s roundup, pharma giant Merck & Co. added listings for two Triangle-area jobs: Senior specialist of skin cancer oncology marketing and senior specialist of patient access marketing.
Durham-based startup hub American Underground regularly posts job openings on its job board. Job seekers can filter their search by skills, position level (c-suite, co-founder, entry-level, mid-level or senior-level), job type (full-time, part-time or intern), job classification (1099 or W2), and work location (on-site, flexible or remote).
Two new positions were added to AU’s job board over the past week:
- E-commerce startup FeedStation is hiring a client success manager and a data analyst in Durham. Last week, the company posted listings for a C# developer and an operations assistant.
Other jobs listed over the past month include:
- Durham-based digital storytelling startup The Looma Project is looking to add a story success manager to its team.
- Policygenius, a New York-based insurtech startup that established a second headquarters in Durham last year, is currently hiring an HR business partner and a revenue associate.
- Fintech firm Securrency Transfers is hiring a .NET developer and a Flutter engineer (remote or in-person).
American Underground-based CureMint, a startup with a procurement software platform for dental organizations, is also looking to add new talent to its team. It has openings for several positions (read more and apply here):
- Account executive
- Senior software engineer
- Mid-level software engineer
- Senior product manager
- Business development representative
- Sales development representative
- Marketing specialist
Bio Jobs Hub
Earlier this year, WRAL TechWire and the North Carolina Biotechnology Center launched a Bio Jobs Hub platform focused on biopharma manufacturing—one of North Carolina’s largest industries, employing over 26,000 people. Typical biopharma jobs include process technicians, maintenance and/or instrumentation technicians, quality assurance and quality control associates, process development scientists and process engineers. This industry also offers competitive entry-level salaries, from $42,000 to $60,000.
Scientists, skilled laborers and recent graduates can use the Bio Jobs Hub resource to find career and training opportunities in their area. Users can search by location, job category/activity and region.
Many biopharma companies are hiring in the Triangle, including large employers like Biogen in Research Triangle Park, bioMérieux in Durham, GSK in Zebulon, Merck & Co. in Durham, Novo Nordisk in Durham and Clayton, Pfizer in Sanford, and many more.
The North Carolina Biotechnology Center’s extensive jobs board lists open jobs and internships from local life science companies and research organizations. Users can filter by job category, employment type (full-time, part-time and contractor), keywords, postal code and radius.
During the past week (since Monday, April 19), several new jobs were added to NCBiotech’s board, including:
- Postdoctoral associate and lab systems analyst at the Duke Human Vaccine Institute in Durham
- High throughput scientist at Locus Biosciences in Morrisville
- Technical supervisor and laboratory assistant at Foundation Medicine in Morrisville
- Molecular biologist/biochemist at Pleno, Inc. in Durham
- Frankel Staffing Partners is recruiting two statistical programmers and a clinical project manager to work remotely for its client, a North Carolina-based pharmaceutical company.
- Lab operations associate at BioLabs North Carolina in Durham
- Preclinical research report writer at Powered Research in RTP
- Clinical research project manager at FHI 360 in Durham
- Research scientist specializing in microinjection and transgenic technologies at TransViragen in Chapel Hill
- Frankel Staffing Partners is recruiting a process development scientist and a chemical engineer for its client, a high-growth pharmaceutical company in the Raleigh area.
- Inside sales representative/technical support role at Novogene in RTP
- Frankel Staffing seeks a human resources director for its client, a gene editing firm in the Raleigh area.
- Frankel Staffing is recruiting an experienced clinical documentation/TMF specialist for its client, a clinical-stage biopharma company in RTP.
- Research associate and virology scientist at BridgeBio Gene Therapy in Raleigh
- GMP analyst at BioAgilytix in Durham
- Tissue engineering associate at United Therapeutics in Durham
The North Carolina Technology Association (NC TECH) has an interactive job board you can use to find your next career opportunity. Users can search by keyword, location, category, type (contract, full-time, part-time or temp to full-time), experience and education level.
No new jobs were added since last week’s roundup. Here’s a recap of what’s been posted over the past few weeks:
- Legal intern, finance interns, procurement intern, software engineering intern and engineering undergrad intern at Toshiba Global Commerce Solutions in Durham
- Project engineer at Optricity Corporation in Durham
NCWorks is a statewide job search portal run by the North Carolina Department of Commerce, which has nearly 100 career centers located across the state. Users can filter NCWorks’ database by keyword, location, occupation group or specific occupations, minimum acceptable salary, education level, job sources and date posted. NCWorks also has a mobile app on the Apple App Store and Google Play Store.
The NCWorks website contains a COVID-19 job board that lists companies hiring to fill immediate technical and healthcare needs in response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
North Carolina military veterans, transitioning service members and spouses can find additional resources on NCWorks’ separate veterans portal.
NCWorks reports thousands of available positions. More than 4,367 people added or updated their resumes at the site in the past week, and 83 new jobs were posted on Sunday, April 25, alone.
Here are the Wake County-based employers with the most job openings:
- Wake County Public School System (2,220)
- WakeMed Health and Hospitals (1,010)
- UNC Health Care System (953)
- Pharmaceutical Research Associates International (585)
- NC State University (544)
- UNC Rockingham Health Care (462)
- EY (388)
- Amazon (365)
- Facebook (286)
- Deloitte (272)
- IQVIA (265)
- INC Research (226)
- McDonald’s Corporation (213)
- Lenovo (206)
- The Home Depot (202)
- Lowe’s Companies (188)
- Lenovo (185)
- Gilead Sciences (172)
- CVS Health (169)
- Wells Fargo (162)
- PruittHealth (160)
- Splunk (157)
- Accenture (156)
- Food Lion (154)
- ICF International (152)
Raleigh Founded, a startup incubator and coworking space, launched a jobs board and research page in January of this year. Job seekers can filter results by company, company size, or industry.
Raleigh Founded’s job board currently lists 165 positions at 25 companies (as of April 25).
Here’s what’s new since last week:
- Veeva Systems, a cloud software company, added several Raleigh-based jobs: CDMS global program manager, customer success managers, account manager and technical architect
- Edtech startup LearnPlatform is hiring two regional sales vice presidents and a district inside sales analyst in Raleigh.
- REVGEN, a sales training company, is hiring a part-time sales development representative in Raleigh.
- Raleigh startup Pendo added a listing for a senior back-end engineer specializing in analytics and insights.
Research Triangle Cleantech Cluster
This isn’t a job board per se, but the Research Triangle Cleantech Cluster’s list of job search sources is a helpful resource for job seekers in the clean energy sector. The list has links to career opportunities from the organization’s members and partners.
Work in the Triangle
Work in the Triangle, a Wake County Economic Development program, shares new openings daily through its Twitter feed, @WorkTriangleNC.
Every Tuesday, Work in the Triangle’s #TriangleTuesdays hashtag lists dozens of hot jobs. Last week’s posts included openings from Seqirus, ncIMPACT, Raleigh Chamber, the City of Raleigh, Wake County, Duke Energy, Bank of America, Duke Raleigh Hospital, Wells Fargo, BB&T, Lenovo, Frankel Staffing Partners, MetLife, SAS, Capitol Broadcasting Company (WRAL TechWire’s parent company), First Citizens Bank, NC State, Red Hat, WakeMed, UNC-Chapel Hill, Blue Cross and Blue Shield of NC, Highwoods Properties, RTI International, Citrix, UNC Health, Credit Suisse, and more.
Scroll through the #TriangleTuesdays hashtag on Twitter for details on the openings.
Upcoming Job Fairs
AMA Triangle Virtual Career Fair: April 29, 7 a.m. – 12 p.m. (online)
- The Triangle chapter of the American Marketing Association is hosting an online career fair featuring local, national and global companies seeking marketing talent.
Virtual Biopharma Career Exploration Webinar: April 29, 11:30 a.m. – 1 p.m. (online)
- Join this webinar to learn about the many opportunities (both scientific and non-scientific roles) available in North Carolina’s biopharma manufacturing industry.
Life Sciences / Biopharma Hiring Event: May 19, 9:45 a.m. – 3 p.m. (online)
- NCBiotech’s Veterans Outreach Program and North Carolina for Military Employment are running a virtual hiring event open to all veterans, transitioning service members and guard/reserve, as well as military spouses. Job seekers will be able to meet face-to-face with hiring managers and recruiters.
Job Resources for Local Students
If you’re a student looking for an internship or entry-level position at a local company or organization, your university has resources to help you get started. Quick links below:
- Duke University: Student Affairs Career Center
- Durham Technical Community College: College Central Network
- NC Central University: Eagle Career Network
- NC State University: Centennial Campus Job Board, Career Development Center, Career Help During COVID-19 and Jobs at NCSU
- UNC Chapel Hill: University Career Resources and Careers at UNC Chapel Hill
- Wake Technical Community College: College Central Network and Career and Employment Resources
Application Deadline: Betsy Y. Justus NC TECH Founders Scholarship: May 21
- Established in memory of the founding CEO of the North Carolina Technology Association (NC TECH), the Betsy Y. Justus NC TECH Founders Scholarship supports two young women as they enter academic and career paths in technology or engineering. Two selected students will receive $4,000 and a Lenovo computer.
Original Source: WRAL TechWire